Pages

Thursday, August 30, 2012

Musical References

As you know, I haven't been changing the lyrics of songs in "Chuck vs. the Sound of Music II" as much as I did in the first story.  I did, however, promise that if I didn't do lyrics, there would be at least one reference to music in each chapter.  I occasionally sneak an extra one in the title of a chapter.  I'm not sure how many people will get the reference to the title of Chapter 21, so here's some help.

I am a huge fan of Elton John's early work from the 1970's.  (Don't judge me.)  Anyway, as I was trying to think of a title for today's chapter, a line from this song hit me.  I knew I had to use it.


Yes, yes he did.  He just sang, "Someone saved my life tonight, sugar bear."  You're welcome.

The other reference was to Mozart's "Eine Kleine Nachtmusik."  It's one of those pieces you hear all the time, but don't necessarily pay much attention to it.  And it really was in a ketchup commercial.  (Try to ignore the talking and listen to the music in the background.)


So there you go.  You learn something new every day.

Here's the entire first movement if you're so inclined.  (Don't worry.  It's only about 6 minutes long.  You'll thank me.)


3 comments:

  1. I'm afraid that I can't hear 'Nachtmusik' anymore without thinking of the great Peter Schickele's 'Eine Kleine Nichtmusik.'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, man! The guy is a genius! The way he can take different songs and weave them together. It's phenomenal.

      My all time favorite is "Oedipus Tex." It's inspired and hilarious and brilliant. Being able to tell the story in such a wonderful way... I'm in awe.

      Delete
    2. You mentioned PDQ Bach somewhere (Fanfic profile, maybe?), so I thought you'd like the reference. I once got Schickele's autograph after a concert he conducted several (and I'm afraid I mean several) years ago.

      Delete