Pages

Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Happy Anniversary quistie!

Tap, tap, tap. Is this thing on? Okay...

Happy Anniversary to you
Happy Anniversary to you
Happy Anniversary dear quistie
Happy Anniversary to you

How old are you?
How old-

Hey! No need to throw things! 

It's not quite one year since you posted Chapter 1 of Chuck vs. The Sound of Music but it is exactly one year since I received drafts of the first two chapters as six PM's in my mailbox. Yes, even back then you were ahead of the game. And all because of this little exchange:

Do you know it's pretty easy to clean off spit-up Coke from an iPad? I found that out after reading, "Sarah Walker, a novitiate preparing to become a nun, is brought in to be the governess for these seven children." What an idea for a AU! 

Hahaha! I'm glad to hear your iPad was easily cleaned. I'm typing on mine right now. No Coke on it yet, but the day is still young!

Can you imagine Sarah Walker as a nun? Oh man, would that be an angsty AU story or what? Yikes!
 
Oh, I think there's great potential for hilarity there. Fresh from coming off a stint going undercover as a nun, Sarah Walker faces her greatest challenge yet - playing governess for seven children while secretly protecting their father. Can you imagine her version of "My Favourite Things"?
 
Hahahahaha! I love the premise!!!

Kung Fu and gun clips and high flying kicking,
Short skirts and pistols and knives that like sticking.
Wild nights and sun tans and jets on their wings.
These are a few of my favourite things.

Oh, now you've done it! I'm going to have to do this, aren't I? :D

If you came up with that in just five minutes, THEN DEFINITELY YES!

 Two hundred and sixty-four thousand words later (and counting) we're in the middle act of the second book of the trilogy (see what I did there?). That's amazing!  And the readers agree, awarding you the Chuck, the Sarah, and the Ellie during this year's Awesome Awards. Me, I really don't see the fluff.  But that may be because I'm constantly weeding out the zombies and Nazis you insist on putting in.

You've conjured up a lot of smiles, laughter, and "awwwww's" with your words and I'm really proud of being part of the process.  So celebrate (go back and read all your wonderful reviews!) and have a bottle of champagne on me. Heck, have a case!  Virtual, of course. Your readers would kill me if anything interfered with the Thursday posts.

17 comments:

  1. 264,000 words? Is that all?

    :)

    Dude, this is seriously cool. Happy anniversary. I'm so glad that this year has happened. It has led to so many cool things (reading these stories, meeting you, the globalization of Chuck characters breaking out into song, meeting you, the lonely code nerd, an increased knowledge of Beaver Creek, Colorado, the introduction of the term graupel to my vocabulary, the joy of socks, meeting you, Casey in Lederhosen...you get the drive). Such a great year, and here's to many more!*

    *Um, maybe not many more years writing the story itself because I don't think you really want that, but hey, many more awesome years of writing in general? Either way, this is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh. Graupel. Funny that just came up in a SOM2 Chapter 18 comment I made.

      Delete
    2. Thank you! It has been my great honor to meet you, too! Your friendship means the world to me. And thank you for your encouragement and help (and patience when I whine).

      Of course you know you're indirectly responsible for SOM in the first place.

      Delete
    3. Uh-uh, I'm taking no credit for that whatsoever. That whole thing came out of your twisted vacuuming mind. ...Well, you were vacuuming. Your mind probably wasn't. Because the way you think certainly doesn't suck and...

      I'm just going to go before this comment buries itself further. DIG UP, FREA.

      (you're very welcome, and thank you for exactly the same thing. I whine way more than you do, too, so you're like ten times as patient as me)

      Delete
  2. Thank you! I have a huge grin on my face! I remember that PM exchange like it was yesterday. It really was the "perfect storm," wasn't it? We've collaborated like this from the very start and it has been wonderful. I appreciate your guidance, correction and cheerleading. These stories wouldn't be what they are without your help, so thank you.

    I can't believe it's been A QUARTER OF A MILLION WORDS. But wait, there's more! And I saw what you did with that whole trilogy thing. **Raises an eyebrow** We'll talk about that later.

    I will indeed enjoy some virtual champagne and then get back to writing more angst and Nazis and zombies and terrible relationships only to have you take it out.

    Again, from the bottom of my heart, thank you.

    quistie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both for having that exchange! We got GOLD out of that, it was magnificent! And all your accolades were well deserved :)

    lucky47

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on this impressive anniversary. The entire SOM universe has been one of the few bright spots in a fanfiction archive often devoid of well written and entertaining stories these days. For that alone, this anniversary would be worth celebrating. But you've also contributed an hilarious group of children, Sarah singing about how short skirts are one of her favorite things (funny how I share that favorite thing :P), Sarah and Carina mud wrestling (still waiting for that excerpt...), Chuck and Sarah PDA time (a rival for the Chuck timer in Walker's Eleven), Beaver Creek, Bartowski Family Gamers, etc. I could go on for quite a while. Such is the beauty and fun of these (now) two (three) stories.

    Thank you for sharing with us your vision and your sense of humor and your amazing ability to write some truly funny and surprisingly fitting lyrics. I can't wait to see what you come up with next!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Max. I appreciate your kind words very much! Your compliments mean so much to me. I'm proud to know you've been reading the crazy thing in the first place!

      Don't think I've forgotten the mud wrestling excerpt, by the way. These things take time to sufficiently percolate in the brain.

      Thanks again!

      Delete
  5. So a year ago I open a ff notification and there was SOM. I knew by the end of that chapter that I was hopelessly hooked. Thank you Quistie and Agent in waiting for such an amazing ride.

    Thursdays will never be the same when SOMIII is over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, sir! You're enthusiastic support has always been appreciated. It's great to have people like you in our corner. :)

      Delete
  6. Happy Anniversary, quistie! Quite the accomplishment you've done here! So all the respect and kudos to you for writing all this top notch stuff.

    Wasn't around on FF.net when you posted the first chapter, belive I first read it in febuary and wow, I'm so hooked, one of the things to why thursdays are an awesome day. ;)

    Said it before but I'll say it again. Quistie, you're aces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm so glad you found ff.net and our little piece of it. It's been great having you along with us as each new chapter posts. I'm grateful for your enthusiasm and support. :) You help me enjoy Thursdays as well! :)

      quistie

      Delete
  7. Happy Anniversary Quistie! Thank you for sharing this fun and amazing story. It has really be a joy to read each chapter and laughing. Now I can not going into a store and buy socks with out starting to giggle. Also the looks from co-workers when Dr.Pepper spirts from my nose because I start laughing are always worth needing to get a new keyboard. Thank you again for sharing your stroy telling talent with us and making Thursdays more fun.

    P.S. Also for having Sarah in white dress shirts so often. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michael,

      Thank you for your kind words and you're welcome. It's always a joy to write and make your shipper heart happy. And you know how I love to hear that I make people spew on their keyboards. :) Whenever I write Sarah in a white dress shirt, I think of you (and Max... and Neil).

      Thanks for the well wishes!

      Delete
  8. Hi Quistie. Congratulations and thank you for sharing your writing talent and love for our Chuck characters! To borrow a Fedakism, it's purely epic! I've been introducing SOM to my wife, each taking turns reading in the vehicle during our summer travels. We are currently on our way to Green Bay, WI so my son and I can make sure Aaron Rodgers and the Packers are preparing well for the upcoming football season. Even though Lambeau is quite a distance from where we live in Canada, we won't get all of the 250 000+ words read but the story is sure making the time move quickly. Best wishes again as you continue the saga. It's time to get back to Martie and those sox!

    Duane Miller

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Duane. I'm a little in awe that you're reading it aloud together. I'm so pleased to hear that! I hope your wife is enjoying the story, too.

      I'm so excited about football season! Have a great time at Lambeau. I haven't been there, but I'm sure it's a magical place.

      Safe travels!

      quistie

      Delete