Pages

Thursday, October 10, 2013

My Way

I mentioned in my author's note for chapter 54 that I was having a bit of a crisis in the middle of writing Chuck vs. the Sound of Music II.  How much I still had to write was definitely a huge part of it.  At the same time, though, I noticed readers were dropping away from the story.  The chapters were long.  The story was already long and only going to get a lot longer.  This wasn't just my usual paranoia, however.  I read on one fan fiction board, "I'm not reading SOM2 anymore.  Nothing happens."

Ouch.

Needless to say, that shook my confidence a bit, even though I knew there were lots of people who were still enjoying the story.  You know how it is. It's easy to focus on the negative.

After a therapy session with my fan fiction shrink, Frea, who wisely told me, "You can't please everyone," I decided to write for the people who did like the story and not worry about those who didn't.  I chose to embrace the fact that it was going to be a behemoth of a story rather than be concerned about it.  It was going to be the story I wanted to tell no matter what and if only a handful of people were there at the end, so be it.

In the end, I wrote it "My Way."

(Note:  The following song has a couple of spoilers in it, so if you haven't read to the final chapter yet, continue at your own risk.)





My Way
(with apologies to Paul Anka)
(play the video at the bottom and sing along!)

And now, the end is here
And so I post the final chapter.
This tale, I know it’s clear
Had lots of things, even a captor.
I wrote a family’s trip
They traveled European railways.
And more, much more than this,
I wrote it my way.

Regrets, I have a few
I know Berlin, it lacked real tension.
I did what I had to do and even wrote of a conception.
I planned each city’s course, each careful step along the plot-way.
And more, much more than this,
I wrote it my way.

Yes, there were times, I'm sure you knew
When I bit off more than I could chew.
But through those times, when plagued with doubt
That ate me up and spit me out,
I faced it all and I stood tall
And wrote it my way.

They loved, they laughed and cried.
They had their fill, their share of shooting.
And now, dear God I hope, you found some of it amusing.
To think I wrote all that
When there were days, where I would just say,
“Oh, no, this thing won’t end!”
 I wrote it my way.

It wasn’t all fluff, it had a plot.
Benoit is dead ’cause he was shot.
I wrote my best, I wrote with zeal.
Okay, I’m not Eugene O’Neill.

It’s at a close, it maybe blows, but wrote it my way!

Yes, it was my way.


5 comments:

  1. And she's a poet, too! Woman of many talents, even for a ninja librarian... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed. It was one of those things that popped into my head and wouldn't go away until I finished it. Plus, SINATRA!

      Delete
  2. Hahaha! I like the tags on this post, "the end." Hahahahaha, thanks for rubbing it in jerk. ;)

    I'm so happy for you!

    PS: yes, I did come here to further delay my final review. WHAT TO SAY WHAT TO SAY!!! I'm such a procrastinator. *continues to browse blog*

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have thoroughly enjoyed both your SOM novels. I also enjoyed the two Scott/Carina stories you posted on this blog. Maybe, once you've had some well deserved down time, you could publish a couple more one-off stories about the two of them. I would enjoy seeing the double date with Chuck and Sarah from their point of view, particularly the ride in the Ferrari and the walk on the beach, and Carina's reaction to Scott being shot and his recuperation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm happy to know you enjoyed the stories. I'm also thrilled that you're a Scott/Carina fan. They're such a fun couple. I'll definitely take your suggestions under advisement. Those could be pretty entertaining.

      Delete