Pages

Thursday, April 18, 2013

Frost & Orion vs. the Cold War

I'm posting a couple of links to news report from 1989 about the fall of the Berlin Wall.  These are for anyone who would like to know a little more about what a monumental thing it was or for those who would simply like to remember.  I grew up in a world where there was "East Germany" and "West Germany," "East Berlin" and "West Berlin."  The Iron Curtain wasn't something in a history textbook.  It was real and feared.  Although there had been calls for the Berlin Wall to be torn down for many years, when it actually happened, it was hard to believe it.  It was shocking and amazing and thrilling and I remember it all.

I know to some this might not seem that interesting and history is boring, but if you watch these clips and look at the people's faces--the people yearning to make their way to freedom--hopefully you'll have a little better understand as to why I chose to tell the story the way I did.  Perhaps it wasn't written in as compelling or interesting way as it could have been, but for me, the sentiments behind the thoughts and motives of the characters are very real.

http://www.cbc.ca/archives/categories/politics/international-politics/the-rise-and-fall-of-the-berlin-wall/the-fall-of-the-berlin-wall.html


7 comments:

  1. Yes, those were absolutely stunning developments back in the day, weren't they? Growing up, who would have thought that the fall of the Communist bloc was even a possibility. The way you wove in this history was well done, and very much appreciated; something I should have added in my review. Resaw

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was an incredible time, wasn't it? In the not too distant past, my fictional American family probably wouldn't have even traveled to Prague or Moscow. Now it's no big deal at all. It's incredible, really, the world can change.

      Delete
  2. Lives in France, I followed the nearest all these events that began with a union electrician named Lech Walesa. It will become president of Poland, by shattering the égémonie of the Soviet Union. Other countries of the East engoufrant into the breach.
    It was a breath of freedom on the Eastern unfortunately not acted upon for all countries (eg Yugoslavia with Kosovo or Chechnya)
    Ventavon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember Lech Walesa, too. Between him and John Paul II, Poland played a huge role in bringing that "breath of freedom" as you said to the East. And you're right. Sadly, there are still places where there is still problems.

      Thank you for sharing your memories.

      Delete
  3. I have been to West Berlin as a kid, so I remember the Wall (we were only allowed to see it from a distance at the time) and it was strange and amazing to live those years, as it was, for me, to be in Berlin again years after being able to visit the whole city.
    And to know that many of your readers know about it by history books, like the Vietnam or WW2, makes me feel so old... :)
    Also, I think that you described well the story (not the history) of those years, by the POV of those who lived it.
    About those events, I would like to recommend you a little nice movie called Goodbye Lenin, about the life of a family in East Berlin and the problems of the reunification in people's everyday lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seeing the Wall must have been an amazing thing, especially to then go back later after it was gone.

      We're not old, we're "primary sources." ;-)

      I'll have to check out that movie. It sounds intriguing. Thank you.

      Delete
  4. Of course it's interesting, even though me as an European knows all of this really well it was a good read and a interesting watch.

    Thanks for sharing with your thoughts, Q.

    ReplyDelete